Re: [Openexr-devel] Established deep data file extension?

From: Christian Bloch
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Established deep data file extension?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 00:25:58 -0700

Completely agree.

As somebody who was watching EXR usage grow in the photography field, and
actively pushing for it, I think a standardized secondary extension will be
very helpful. Otherwise it runs into the danger of turning into a minefield
like TIF. Fine when it's optional, but it should not grow wild.

DXR and SXR sound logical to me, but your point about the audible similarity
and possible miscommunications is a good one. It's just that I wouldn't know
anything better. ODZ just sounds like an oddball. I've already forgotten what
it stands for…  The good part about the *XR notation is, that I can stumble
over a forgotten file like that in 5 years and will remember that it's a flavor
of EXR, and if I happen to have no VFX software here I can rename it and have a
peek in a (thankfully already) huge amount of programs.

Blochi