[Openexr-devel] Multilayer convention

From: Ton Roosendaal
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Multilayer convention
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 18:19:32 +0100

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if we could map out a convention for saving Multi Layer
files in OpenEXR. Not to propose a standard, but to ensure files are easier to
share among image editors, renderers and compositors.

Just for reference, this is what we use in Blender since 2006:

- parse name from right to left
- last character is channel ID, 1 char like 'A' 'R' 'G' 'B' 'X' 'Y' 'Z' 'W' 'U'
'V'
- separated with a dot; the Pass name, like "AO", "Color", "Diffuse".
- separated with a dot: the Layer name, like "Backdrop" or "Characters"

Or, share info here about your product's conventions, then we can try to get
things compatible a bit :)

Thanks,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   address@hidden    www.blender.org