[Openexr-devel] Stereo (multi-view) pipeline

From: Ton Roosendaal
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Stereo (multi-view) pipeline
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 14:29:31 +0200

Hi all,

There's a project in Blender to get (at last ;) good stereo support integrated
for the render/composite/display pipeline.

Obviously we'll try to align well to the proposed OpenEXR spec of it.
http://www.openexr.com/MultiViewOpenEXR.pdf

My question is why the authors proposed to insert the view 'layers' on the
lowest level in the structure. Was this for compatibility, or other reasons?

In Blender internally, we use a list of "render layers" with a list of "passes"
which each have the channel buffers. The paper proposes to then add views as
follows:

   render_result -> layers -> passes -> views -> channels

An other way would be to move views to the top level:

   render_result -> views -> layers -> passes -> channels

It probably doesn't matter much (exr file read can map to how we store it
internally), but I'd be very interested to hear if there's people here who did
a stereo migration for their pipelines and can share some experience.

Thanks,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   address@hidden    www.blender.org