openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] License question

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] License question
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:21:07 -0700

Mario Fichtenmayer wrote:
Hello,

thank you very much for mentioning jGoodies, Daniel.
I used the last days to think again about the license and i came to the conclusion that the BSD license is completely sufficient for this project.

But i have one last question:
Besides the normal license-header of the source-files and the extra license-textfile, what's about the following lines:

This library is based on the OpenEXR library from ILM.
Exrforjava is not affiliated to ILM.
For more information about the exr file format in general or the original C library visit www.openexr.com .

I think about puting this in the readme file.
Does it suffice to mention ILM this way?
Or shouldn't i at all?
Since it might be misunderstandable.

I am not a lawyer, but the OpenEXR license does say "Redistributions of source
code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
following disclaimer."  Assuming that the license means means what it says,
you must retain the file header in any code that you derived from ILM's source.

Florian