openexr-user

[Openexr-user] Feature request

From: Gonzalo Garramuño
Subject: [Openexr-user] Feature request
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 02:11:41 -0300

Hi, Florian.

I would like to request some features for the build of openexr on windows. Currently, the standard projects and build drops everything in a Deploy directory.

Unfortunately, this is true of both the vc8 and vc7 projects. The issue is that Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, has broken ABI compatability yet again. This makes it problematic to use the latest cutting edge openexr while supporting different versions that need different compilers. It means manually modifying 5 or so project files.

The actual requests are that:
a) The OpenEXR .sln files deploy elements in specific subdirs for vc8 and vc7. b) The .sln files become deprecated in favor of a multiplatform build tool like cmake, which allows easily running all command-line and automating builds on all different platforms consistently. Using microsoft crappy gui is a big disadvantage (and cmake can automatically generate a .sln file from .cmake build rules). c) The OpenEXR DLLs become versioned so rather than IlmImf.dll you get IlmImf.1.5.dll like on unix. Currently, I am integrating my products with other vendors that may be shipping older openexr versions. While no conflict has yet appeared (magically), I think this is just waiting to happen and I know when it does, it will be a nightmare to figure out the issue.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
address@hidden

AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E