[Openvds-devel] Introduction, History of FreeVSD

From: Paul Marshall
Subject: [Openvds-devel] Introduction, History of FreeVSD
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:25:24 -0800

Hi Everyone,

My name is Paul Marshall and some of you may know me or remember me from the
early FreeVSD days. During the early days of FreeVSD I took part in numerous
discussions, provided, tips, workarounds and fixes for a variety of issues. In
addition, I also carried on discussions with Idaya and some of the developers
regarding features as well as marketing and the future direction of FreeVSD. I
backed out of the community as a result of these discussions. It was clear that
the only one Idaya wanted to make money on this project was Idaya. I also had
suspicions that they would be closing of source and releasing a commercial
product. I knew a revolt would be coming, but I didn't want to cause havoc by
making a negative post in the lists. Instead, I just backed away and waited for
the shit to hit the fan. Sure enough, it did and here we are.

I don't have a problem with Idaya wanting to make money for their work.
However,  I feel that they have gone too far. While their recent actions may be
legal, they certainly aren't ethical. My problem with what they are doing is
the fact that they are basing commercial software on open source software. In
addition, instead of integrating submitted code, the took the ideas and rewrote
them so it was their code, which is what allowed them to create ProVSD.
Originally, they said that Idaya was funding some of the development and that
they were only going to sell the control panels and that is where they were
going make their money. They assured us that FreeVSD would remain Open Source.
Fortunately, karma comes back and hits you like a semi-truck. They have the
lost the most valuable asset they had, their community. An as a result, their
product will fail. Mark my words.

Before I give you some background on myself, let me tell you a little bit about
the history of Virtual Servers and FreeVSD. For those of you who are new, this
may be interesting. As far as I know, virtual servers were first used by
iServer, now owned by Verio. It was a similar implementation of what we have
now, however, it ran on BSD. Not FreeBSD, but the original BSD. iServer had a
set of command line commands, a web based control panel, and a Java based
control panel for the desktop. They did not chroot you into your directory,
however, which made their system insecure. From 97-99, most people offering
Virtual Servers, like myself, were iServer resellers. In 1998, virtuald was
written for Linux by Brian Ackerman, at least he did the How-To. The daemon is
the core of the VSD system. Virtuald also had a few utilities for dealing with
mail, user, accounts, etc, but they were very basic. The first program to
become an interface to virtuald was VirtFS, which used a command line menu
system. FreeVSD could be thought of as the third generation. FreeVSD simply
refined the system adding more security, the VSD protocol, skels, and the
modified packages. FreeVSD was a dramatic improvement over what was available,
but as those of us who have used it, know it isn't perfect. In fact, the last
version I used was 1.4.6 because I have made so many modifications to my setup
that upgrading would be a nightmare unless I did it on another machine.

Now a little bit about myself. Originally, I have a sales and marketing
background, however, I have been an Internet consultant in San Rafael,
California since 1996. I am experienced in nearly every aspect of this industry
from sales, consulting, project management, information architecture,
usability, design, backend/database development, system administration, system
integration, maintenance, and marketing. I can go on, but you get the idea. I
have always created long term relationships with my clients with hosting,
maintenance, and marketing programs. As a result, I host most of my clients
sites, and manage all of them. Since I have limited resources to provide
support, I don't offer hosting on it's own. Since I have always administered my
clients sites, and they rarely need to do anything themselves, I have little
need for the control panels. When I began using FreeVSD, I tore it apart. I
have intimate knowledge of the internals. While I haven't used the latest
versions, I am sure they haven't changed much.

I have a lot to offer this project and I would like to be involved. However, I
can't do this as a charitable project. While I believe in free and Open Source
software, I don't believe in working for free. While I enjoy contributing to
the community and sharing my knowledge, I can only go so far. I am willing to
put forth a considerable amount of time, resources, and energy toward this
project, as long as there is a return. I am not looking to get rich, but I have
to make a living. In order for this to happen, one of two things needs to
happen.

1. I need to be able to offer commercial support to anyone who needs it. I
tried to offer this to the FreeVSD community, however, Idaya asked me not to
post about it at the last minute. Obviously because they didn't want me to
compete with them on the support weren't offering anyway.

2. An ISP or ISPs need to come on board to fund this project. This was a
benefit to FreeVSD project and many others, however, Idaya abused it. Based on
what I have seen, we don't have a comprehensive set of skills covered. We are
going to need programmers with skills that I don't think any of us have. For
instance, I haven't seen any mention of any hardcore C/C++ or kernel developers
stepping forward, however, I could be wrong. Nonetheless, If we are going to
develop a top-notch system, then we need top-notch people. We are talking about
software that is used to make money. We definitely need some project leads who
can direct and manage the project, as well as maintaining focus and direction.
In addition, we need to have people who are experienced in the different areas
of system administration. Someone needs to deal with sendmail, someone else
with apache, someone else with DNS. This way we will get the best experience in
the right areas.

I have several ideas for products and solutions using this system that are not
practical for me to offer. However, these could be valuable to an ISP. I can
help them leverage this system into a money maker. If we can find some ISPs to
come on board I am willing to work with them to develop those products and
solutions. At the same time, any OpenVSD development will contributed back to
the community.

Over the next day or so I will post a couple more messages regarding my
thoughts on the architecture, VSD protocol, and control panels.

Take care,

Paul

Paul Marshall -- President, Senior Consultant
Protelligence
Internet Consulting and Marketing
http://www.protelligence.com  415-721-0123