RE: [Openvds-devel] Introduction, History of FreeVSD

From: Paul Marshall
Subject: RE: [Openvds-devel] Introduction, History of FreeVSD
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:44:11 -0800

Hi Dave,

At 09:34 AM 12/10/01, you wrote:

>All have been said by the others, so I won't add more petrol to the fire.
>
>But, if you find someone to pay to to work on OpenVDS, please direct them to
>me too ;-) (Someone named a hardcore C/C++ programmers? I'been working for
>15+ years writing drivers/os code in C/Assembly on embedded systems).

Actually, Dave, that was my intention. So anyone who want to get paid for their
work, let me know. If you think it is your moral duty to work for free, have
fun!

>I (and many others here) could use some cash too to develop the project more
>heavily. Until then, I consider the time spent on OpenVDS an investment on
>myself and towards my company (i.e. if I get a product I can use it to make
>money, if I don't I need to buy a product anyway).

That's my idea. I have invested hundreds of hours working on Virtual Server
systems. I, like many of you, would like to see a return on that investment.

Due to the economy in the US, and some other issues such as my bandwidth
pricing and lack of support resources, I decided not to offer hosting unless it
was bundled with my other services. As a result, the time I have invested is
more valuable to others than for my business. I need a virtual server system,
but I don't need all the latest features or the interfaces.

I some of you may have misunderstood me or maybe I wasn't clear about the
sponsorship. I don't necessarily think that an ISP or anyone else needs to
officially sponsor the project. I would like to see some ISPs who are committed
or will commit to using OpenVDS and put up some of their resources such as
programmers, bandwidth, etc. This is also an appeal on my end to any ISPs who
would like to hire me to help them with their XVSD system or help them sell
solutions based on that. I also intend to make that appeal on some ISP lists. I
believe there are ISPs who will do it. Many of them would commit to using this,
but they would rather pay a team to develop it, rather than commit their
already overextended programmers.

Nonetheless, this is a product designed to make money. The primary use of a
Virtual Server system is hosting. I am not aware of any organization or
educational institution who is using it for software development. Is anyone
using it for non-commercial purposes?

Take care,

Paul