[Openvds-devel] Re: installation rh7.2 + freevsd1.4.9

From: Urivan Saaib
Subject: [Openvds-devel] Re: installation rh7.2 + freevsd1.4.9
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:50:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi Henry,

> 1. When I type for vsd-install the command would run until i type in
> vsd-install.pl . This may be a trivial matter but i sure hope someone to
> explain to me.

Yes, i can explain, there was a typo in the document.... :) its
vsd-install.pl (Document as been fixed, thanks !)

> 2. After the installation I found these two directory in /home
> -/vsd
> -/vsd? which contain /vs -what does this directory does?

You can read all of this from the FreeVSD doc files
(/usr/share/doc/freevsd-1.4.9/)

But:
/home/vsd/skel   Will hold the skels.
/home/vsd/vs     Will hold the virtual servers.

> 3. All the other directory made during the install process in the
> /home/vsd/skel/CiberNet.skel1 directory - is this correct?

Yes, the name of the skel is CiberNET.skel1, this is the skel  you'll use
when creating new virtual servers.

> 4. During the install process the skel took most of my /home partition(512MB)
> which is now 100% used -where did the rest goes to(although i think this a
> linux issue)?

Well, the installation instructions asume you have plenty of space where
to create a skel and the virtual servers. You might read something about
this on the FreeVSD docs as well.

> 5.On our instruction text you've posted, it stop at installation. Where can I
> find docs(admin-guide.txt  etc) on how to use the command line(vsdadm syntax &
> its config file vsd.conf) to setup a virtual server with more detailed
> explaination?

The files in the doc folder (see above) does explain that.

> 6. I'm doing all this on a standalone until I can get a local network running
> to do a thorough test.
> - What is the purpose of setting in ns1 & ns2 during the installation?

What's the purpose to have a dns ? :)

> - Can I still use the server as a nameservers using BIND as this is not
> included in your initial-rh7.2 rpm list?

You can install whatever you want in the hosts server, as long as there
are no ip:port conflicts with any virtual server.

> - Will shh access be given to the root user of a virtual server? as this is
> not
> included in the skel.rpmlist.

Sorry, the openssh-client and openssh-server ARE provided in the skel,
just that seems like i deleted the openshh-server entry on the list as a
mistake.

> 7. What's the different between ipchain & iptables?

man ipchains, man iptables

Thats out of scope of this list.

> 8. Can I still run a httpd(with apache/tomcat/jdk) for the main server with
> the
> existance of freevsd or only virtual host will be server?

Read above, just check that there are no ip:port conflicts.

> Thanks in advance, hope you don't mind as all this is still new to me.

Regards
Urivan Saaib
Presidente
CiberNET Mexico