RE: FW: [Openvds-devel] freevsd hijack and 4.5.10 /redhat 7.2 installati

From: Dave Cost
Subject: RE: FW: [Openvds-devel] freevsd hijack and 4.5.10 /redhat 7.2 installation
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:47:39 -0800

> when can we see the OpenVDS 1.5.0 ?

I don't want to say when it's ready, but don't expect it before new years...
In the next two weeks I'll be updating most of my servers, so there'll be
little time for OpenVDS.

> can someone just upload the actual freevsd-1.4.10 release ,
> everyone wants it!

If someone has it, send it to Urivan or Me so we can upload it on the
fileservers.

> in the freevsd-1.4.10pre3 that I compiled, I was able to enable
> both the SSL
> (svsadm) and PLAIN (vsadm) by changing the xinetd.conf values.
> After I did
> that, I restarted the xinetd, verified that both ports were active via
> netstat and the webadmin worked, obviously connecting thru vsadm
> (tcp port
> 1725)

> perhaps a java connection? this seems to be crucial for security.  there
> needs to be a secure remote administration connection.  a java
> applet inside
> the webadmin webpage perhaps, but SSL seems to be a requirement.

Making this would be moving the source in the hands of everyone (java
decompiling). Another option is to use some helper programs (namely vsdadm)
that will carry the necessary tasks (maybe in batch), intead of having the
php scripts connecting directly. This will require a major rewrite I guess.

Dave.