Re: [Openvds-devel] RFC-OpenVDS-0001, Ideas for the future (software pac

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] RFC-OpenVDS-0001, Ideas for the future (software packages)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:58:34 -0600

For what it's worth, I suspect RPM is a better choice for this purpose.

My reasons:

Package Database can be selected on the command line--so hacking it to suit a VDS will be extremely easy. Probably even a shell script wrapper will do it.

Root directory can be selected at runtime. This is good for the same reasons above. Give the VDS admin a 'rpm' shell script that runs RPM with the correct database and root directory, and life is golden.

Red Hat is already the system VDS is based on. APT is available from Connectiva for RPMs, but I don't know how well it works, and whether it would be suitable without mods.

Dave Cost wrote:

It should be pretty easy to take APT, empty all it's prior knowledge and
drop it into the system with a fresh and empty Package Database;  *If* the
question of how to make APT execute within the hosting-server (and modify
all skels) when required, and how to make it only execute
chroot()ed within
the VS when installing local packages like MySQL/vs Postgres.

I have never heard of APT yet. Where's the homepage so I can understand it
better?

Dave.

--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>