openvds-support

[Openvds-support] new vsd install

From: River Hume
Subject: [Openvds-support] new vsd install
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:31:44 -0800

Hello, I just installed 1.4.10 (AGAIN) and noticed this time that the reason it shut down my httpd services, is coz it moved my master site into a virtual server (which didn't exactly work)... I was previously under the impression that the master server would run as normal, and that only the virtual servers would be sandboxed.... Is it possible to even run the master server outside the sandbox? I don't like the fact that the first thing vsd does is break my system... it did NOT bring up web services on the new vs (the copy of the master server), nor does it bring up any other services. I did get the following error during vsd-install though, and I wonder if it may be related. The weird thing is, it doesn't seem that this would keep the new vs from running... unless maybe it's referring to information on the http service installing with vsd???
Disabling HTTP on the local machine:
disabled http at start up.
error reading information on service httpd: No such file or directory
killed all http processes.

I restarted apache, and all was well, but I them shut it down again, thinking maybe the vsd apache would possibly work after vsboot... anyhow, I created a new virtualserver, and ran vsboot, and it seems to work, but the main server is now down. I tried restarting apache time and again, and it claims to start, but doesn't work, and when I try to restart it, it sez it's not running, but see the below output...
23402 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23403 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23404 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23405 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23406 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23407 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23410 ? 00:00:00 httpd
23438 pts/0 00:00:00 ps
23439 pts/0 00:00:00 bash
address@hidden sbin]# apachectl stop
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop: httpd (no pid file) not running
it's right there! but apachectl doesn't see it? and it certainly isn't responding to web requests... I need to get this machine back online asap, and I'm a bit at a loss... Any suggestions? Thanx in advance!-River