pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Hello World

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Hello World
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 14:15:27 -0700

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:25:19PM +0200, Bas Mevissen wrote:
> On Thursday 02 May 2002 23:55, you wrote:
> > This list is intended to be a forum for lower-level discussion than
> > pan-users typically has.  It will probably overlap somewhat with the irc
> > conversations and comments in the bugzilla tickets, but by adding a mailing
> > list, we get a searchable archive of discussions.  It may also serve as a
> > honeypot for new contributors.  (Or maybe not, but hope springs eternal. ;)
> >
> > Right now Chris, Colin and I are here; I'll point Adam, Fejj, and mdew in
> > this direction in case they're interested too.
> >

> And I'm here again. Just started with 0.11.3 again from CVS.
>
> I noticed a few problems with Pan when starting as an off-line user. So I'll
> see if I can provide some small patches soon :-)
>
> BTW. I'll develop these for 0.11.3 and not for the new version, simply
> because I do not have Gnome2 and don't want to start with it. That's simply
> because I'm currently playing with a nice Fujitsu Stylistic 500 to get a very
> tiny Linux installation on it, with masquarading and dial-in services to my
> local network.

You should take a look at the commits I've made over the weekend;
the online/offline code has been completely reworked.  IMO it's
really good; I feel like I've gotten rid of some of Pan's last
and worst warts.

If you or Colin wants to backport this to 0.11 that's fine, but
let's stay away from forking Pan with two different sets of
functionality.

cheers,
charles

PS.  You don't need all of Gnome2 to play with Pan 0.12; you only
need gtk2 and libxml2.  I don't have Gnome2 installed yet, either.