pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Hello World

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Hello World
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 18:45:56 -0700

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 02:15:27PM -0700, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:25:19PM +0200, Bas Mevissen wrote:

>> And I'm here again. Just started with 0.11.3 again from CVS.
>> I noticed a few problems with Pan when starting as an off-line user.
>> So I'll see if I can provide some small patches soon :-)
>>
>> BTW. I'll develop these for 0.11.3 and not for the new version, simply
>> because I do not have Gnome2 and don't want to start with it. That's simply
>> because I'm currently playing with a nice Fujitsu Stylistic 500 to get a
>> very tiny Linux installation on it, with masquarading and dial-in
>> services to my local network.
>
> You should take a look at the commits I've made over the weekend;
> the online/offline code has been completely reworked.  IMO it's
> really good; I feel like I've gotten rid of some of Pan's last
> and worst warts.
>
> If you or Colin wants to backport this to 0.11 that's fine, but
> let's stay away from forking Pan with two different sets of
> functionality.

I was thinking about this letter and wanted to add onto it, to make
sure I don't get pan-devel off to a bad start:  I'm very glad that
more people are going to work on Pan, and consider yourself encouraged
to work on offline reading.

However, I do request that you do it in the 0.12 branch:
If 0.11 and 0.12 go in different directions, then we're either
(a) making it difficult to keep the branches in sync, or
(b) accidentally forking the code.  IMO new code should be done
on cvs head (the 0.12 branch) and backported to 0.11 as appropriate.

There are only a few RPMs you need to install for 0.12 -- glib2,
pango, atk, gtk2, and libxml2.  I think that's reasonable.

Besides, the new online/offline and navigation code is REALLY COOL. ;)

cheers,
Charles