pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Race condition in queue.c::queue_run_what_we_can()

From: Calin A. Culianu
Subject: [Pan-devel] Race condition in queue.c::queue_run_what_we_can()
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:59:30 -0500 (EST)

I noticed a possible race condition in queue.c::run_what_we_can().

It appears that the task_list is missing a mutex lock/unlock in this
function.  This data structure is shared across multiple threads
(specifically, the UI thread and the queue/task thread).

Other threads that access task_list do lock and unlock the task_lock when
they are reading/writing to the task_list, but the queue thread doesn't do
this.  This could possibly cause stability issues since.. well.. race
conditions are always bad in threaded code.

Is there a reason for omitting this mutex lock/unlock?

If it turns out locking isn't a bad idea (which I would argue it isn't),
how do I go about submitting this sourcecode change to the cvs tree?
Should I just send a patch to this mailing list?  Does anyone want to
review this change?  I think it's a worthwhile stability fix..

-Calin