pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Pan 0.14.2 Won't Compile

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Pan 0.14.2 Won't Compile
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:05:27 -0500

Duncan wrote:

So that's where we are. 0.14.x is a deadend, code no longer supported, despite it being officially "stable". The 0.1xx series is in general more functional (with the named exception) and definitely more scalable, and is as stable as official "stable", particularly against the other updated software in a newer distribution. However, since 1.0 is the announced next stable and we've been "not quite there yet", for an entire year now, we're stuck!

If I could go back in time and shuffle the version numbers around s.t.
the current svn could be relesed as 0.15.0, I would... but since most
distros now ship the rewrite rather than 0.14.2, it's a moot point.

The only real downside is that so many betas between branded
Stable(tm) releases gives the appearance (and sometimes, the feel)
of a 1.0 deathmarch, which isn't really the case.

cheers,
Charles