pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: How is development going?

From: Ben Bullock
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: How is development going?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 20:33:00 +0900

2008/5/28 walt <address@hidden>:

> Several of us here would be pleased to test
> any patches you come up with.

I would like to, but I'm a little scared of breaking something. I
found bugs like one where the "apply_profiles" routine is called
twice, resulting in a double signature, so I commented out one of the
calls, but I have no idea whether that is the correct solution. Also I
very badly wanted to turn off the "text massager" because I want to
post to computer language groups and having the quoted text massaged
results in a complete mess when the quoted content is formatted
computer code, so I fixed the problem by just completely commenting
out the part where the text massager is called. But what's really
required is to have an option where the text massager can be switched
on or off according to preferences, and I don't know how to do that.

>   I'm not a good programmer but I have looked
> a bit at the code in places where I knew there was a problem.  I certainly
> don't know the whole program because I'd need to learn gtk and that gives
> me a headache :o)

I saw an interesting video on YouTube today about open source development:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFDm3UYkeE

The Pan newsreader as it stands seems to have a "bus factor" of one.