pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Feature proposal

From: Christiano Farina Haesbaert
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Feature proposal
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:06:16 -0300

2008/9/5 Duncan <address@hidden>
There's no support for it yet.

Charles hasn't seemed to interested in it in the past, I believe because
integrating it would require additional GNOME dependencies and he prefers
to stay with GTK-only dependencies.

He's right.  Take me, for instance, I'm a KDE person, I don't have GNOME
installed and don't want it installed!  Knowing you're going to be
compiling every update has a way of encouraging what's good safe
computing practice anyway, don't have installed what you don't need! =:^)

I'm not sure, but I believe that the notification area of gnome follows the
freedesktop standard tightly, an implementation in it would allow the
same notification area to work on kde/other systems.
About the dependencies we could tailor the configure script to compile with/without
the feature.

But I'd absolutely love to have it here, if it didn't introduce
additional dependencies, and if it degraded gracefully if necessary with
older GTK versions.  That's a stiff order, but with all the functionality
in newer GTKs, it just might be possible.

While you're at it or if that's still not easily done, consider working
on a patch to add printer support using the newer GTK functionality.  I
KNOW that's in new GTKs, and Charles wants it back in newer pan, but last
he said anything about it probably ~18 months ago, he didn't think the
GTK printing support was mature enough yet, and didn't want to break
backward compatibility but didn't want to hassle writing it up to
properly degrade gracefully, either.  But I'm quite sure he'd take a
patch implementing it, if one were handed to him that filled those
conditions, and unlike the notification/tray area, I KNOW GTK supports
printing now.  And it's a reasonably often requested feature, too, so if
you're up to it... =:^)

This sounds interesting and useful, I'm looking for anything to code at the moment, so I
might just do that, still I need to learn a lot, don't know anything about the subject.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman