pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Multiple servers, single "subscribed" list?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Multiple servers, single "subscribed" list?
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:03:48 -0700

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 21:44, John J. LeMay Jr. wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here before. Now that my isp has
> given me a news server (through giganews actually) I can once again view
> the binary groups (and they carry the one I've been wanting for a year or
> two now!).
>
> Has any more thought been given to a combined list of subscribed groups for
> all configured news servers? Seems to me this would be a really useful
> feature - something I don't think any other newsreader offers.

[OK, so what's this doing threaded under your previous reply to the different
profiles thread?  It's a totally different subject.   I /hate/ it when that
happens!  <g>]

Yes, it's been discussed.  <g>  The last on the topic was that b4 this could
happen, PAN needed to switch to a different database format.  If implimented
correctly, with this functionality in mind, handling multiple servers in a
single list would be (comparitively) easily done, one the database format is
correct.  The talk was of switching to an SQL database type, using sqlite,
but compatable with MySQL and the like, so Pan's db could be mined by other
user apps and utilities.  There was a bit of talk of specifics.

Here's the msg-id and subject/author/date data for the top of the thread,
should you decide to look it up, either in your archives, or the list
archives on the web: