pan-users

[Pan-users] X-Pan-Internal headers

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: [Pan-users] X-Pan-Internal headers
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:42:21 -0600

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 03:47:43AM +0100, Gollum wrote:
When posting with Pan, it adds one or two special headers:
  X-Pan-Internal-Attribution (when replying)
  X-Pan-Internal-Post-Server (always)
I've found no option to get rid of them.  I suggest removing them (or
making them optional), because it's nobody's business what I call the
server internally in Pan or what my default attribution is. They also
waste bandwidth.  (Not much, I admit, but they're still unnecessary.)
What's the history behind these headers, BTW?

The former is used in the message correctness checks for obscure reasons[1],
and the latter is used to know which server to send the post to.
These headers are stripped out as the message is sent to the news server,
so the rest of the world doesn't see them.

cheers,
Charles

I find by experiment that the headers still show up when I read the article back from the newsgroup, using pan 0.13.2.91, thus: