pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Request: separate options for "Mouse single clicks..."

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Request: separate options for "Mouse single clicks..."
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:01:44 -0700 (MST)

> pan 0.11 used to have 2 options for mouse single click selecting rather than
> activating groups or articles.
>
> now pan 0.13 has a single option which forces the same behaviour for both
> groups and articles.
>
> I'd like to set different behaviours for those 2 (single click activates
> groups, but just selects articles)
That's my preference too, but while we're at it, I'll add that I think
CTRL-click should not bring up the article save dialog if you use it when
no articles are selected.  Right now it's inconsistent because if an
article is already selected CTRL-click behaves differently than if none are.

My opinion is that it's best not to activate any articles with
attachments with any kind of click, but I don't think I'll get that
wish.  There's the counter argument that some attachments should be
processed right away, like jpeg images.  For large multi-part postings I
think it's usually going to be best to let the user decide the
disposition without popping up a dialog box.

I also think the "Save article as..." option when you right click
on a message should check to see if the message has attachments and
figure out that you don't want to save attachments for this message if
there aren't any.  Sometimes I uncheck "Save Article Attachments" and
check "Save Article Text" for a plain text message and then forget that
this has changed the next "Save Article As" dialog box and then I end up
with a whole bunch of text messages for a binary.  Why don't I just use
"Save Article Attachments"?  Because I would have to cancel and
right-click -- the "Save Article As" box came up because I clicked on the
message, and it seemed faster to just click "Save".  Just adding that
explanation so it doesn't seem like as much of a tangent.