pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Click on URL in a post??

From: Eric Ortega
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Click on URL in a post??
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:27:38 -0800

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:59:07PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 11:40:11AM -0700, Duncan wrote:

> > Since the dependencies for VIM and MC were on /usr,
> > I couldn't run them, either.
>
> I would think that plain vi would work without /usr; I'm sure I've done it
> on some redhat boxes, in the course of swapping partitions around.

Debian, for example, uses a link from /usr/bin/vi to /etc/alternatives/vi,
which then points to /usr/bin/vim or /bin/vi depending on which packages
you have installed.

It's possible that a (particularly stupid) shell command history could
point to /usr/bin/vi as the copy to run and then break when it's not
there, giving a misleading error to a new user that's not familiar with
typing, say, '/bin/vi' to actually run the damn thing how you want it
to be run.  He might have had an alias or something, too.

I would assume that something happened when he typed 'vi' that was not
cool.  /bin/vi (on most installations) is only dependent, at most,
on libraries in /lib for good reason.

I still think the easiest way to fix things like this is to stick in the
rescue disks, mount the directory, and fix it with a full complement of
working tools ('chroot'ing to the disk, if possible, for even more).

ObPan:  I upgraded to Pan 0.13.2 in Debian unstable without a hitch, no
chrooting necessary.  Thanks to all involved.