pan-users

[Pan-users] Pan on Windows is great!

From: Holger Hoffstätte
Subject: [Pan-users] Pan on Windows is great!
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:58:37 +0100

Just wanted to chime in with some Praise for Charles & the team, and give
some Windows feedback. I've already been using the Unix version for a long
time now and couldn't be happier, but it was always a bit inconvenient
since I use Windows on the workstations via local X11 server. I tried the
0.13.4 Windows version and what can I say? Great! Settings just work, I
copied over my .pan files and apart from adjusting a few paths didn't have
to fix anything. Only thing that threw me off a bit were the fonts and the
default GTK theme (yellow-sandish) which was easily fixed; IMHO this
should probably be gtkrc.plain by default. One particularly nifty feature
I wanted to submit when Charles mentioned it: PAN_HOME on a network drive
lets me use the same settings & .newsrc from all my machines (workstation,
laptop in bed..) - great!
It's good to see that the debugging output to the pop-up console has
already been fixed; apart from that the Windows version reads and posts
everthing just as expected. I also noticed a slowly increasing memory
usage, as has already reported; it can be observed even in the highly
unscientific TaskManger, every newly selected posting (even small text
messages) gnaws off 4-8k or so.
Finally I'd like to ask for newer releases for Windows, if it's not too
much trouble to wrap up? This would make testing new features & reporting
new bugs a lot easier.
Thanks again for a great program!

Holger