pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Can't download binaries

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Can't download binaries
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:55:56 -0700

On Tue 18 Mar 2003 06:26, Alberto BARSELLA posted as excerpted below:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 at 12:35:42AM -0000, David Anderson wrote:
> >Downloading and installing the newest version has not helped.  The Yenc
> >decoding support is built into Pan, right?  I mean, I don't have to
> > install yenc separately, do I?
>
> Yes, it's built-in.  It does the getting of all segments and decoding
> transparently.  Is there anything appearing in the log (Tools->Log viewer
> or something like that)?

I didn't see the original article, but just checked, and it's in the trash,
due to the fact that it contains HTML garbage.  HTML formatting is for
spammers and crackers, not folks trying to get answers on mailing lists.
Anyway, altho I'm replying here, it's to David, the original poster...

PAN's normally used data dir is ~/.pan/data.  The initial dot in front of the
pan will keep that dir hidden under normal conditions, unless you have your
file manager set to view hidden files.  Check that this dir exists and is
read/writable by the user that will be running it.

Within this dir should be the various config files, *.idx and *.dat files for
each server, and subdirs for each server, as well as a messages subdir.
Within each server subdir should be *.idx and *.dat files for the individual
active groups.  Within the messages subdir should be a folders subdir, and
the cache.  Within the cache should be the message body files for the
messages that have been downloaded.

Does this match what you see, David, keeping in mind the normally hidden
nature of the ~/.pan dir?   Are the messages you d/l appearing in the cache?

(Again, please be sure to turn off HTML garbage formatting when you reply, or
I likely won't see it, just as I didn't see the original, until I checked my
trash when I saw replies to an original I was missing.  Only spammers and
those trying to fool an HTML parser into running something it shouldn't need
HTML mail.  For anyone else, if the content is worth reading, it's JUST as
worth reading in plain text as HTML, and plain text doesn't come with the
security risks that HTML does.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin