pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature request

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature request
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:01:58 -0700

On Thu 10 Apr 2003 08:11, EZ Mouse posted as excerpted below:
> I was trying to use a minimum line count filter to have the
> alt.binaries.multimedia.* groups only show large binaries.  Unfortunately,
> large binaries tend to get posted in small chunks which pan combines and
> displays as one article.  What I would like is a way to filter based on the
> combined line count of a multi-part post and not the individual chunk size.

What I settled on is a filter with two clauses..

Filter:
Less than X lines (where 100<X<500, 120 is what I am using for my mostly still
pix groups, erroring on the side of caution but letting more small-pix spam
thru).
AND
Not an incomplete attachment.

Rule:
Delete.

Now.. this DOES leave a few mistakes, where the subject line has PAN fooled
into thinking it's an incomplete muti-part when it isn't, but these aren't
TOO common, and a decent number of them can be filtered out with ordinary
spam filtering techniques.

I suppose there may be a few of the opposite mistake as well, where PAN may
not detect it as a part of a multi-part when it is, in some groups.  If that
seems to be the case, you could try marking as read or ignored or some such
instead of delete, so the overview is still there in case you need it to
complete a multipart. but you won't normally see it.

An alternative would be two rules, one deleting with the incomplete attachment
clause as well as the less than X lines clause, another simply marking as
read or ignored with only the less than X lines clause.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin