pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: .13.94 bug

From: Holger Hoffstaette
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: .13.94 bug
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:12:03 +0200

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:58:51 -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:

>> dunno what happened, I was just browsing through some images and all of
>> a sudden nothing worked (I'd double-click an article, it would download,
>> but nothing would show up in the article pane).  I quit and reopened
>> pan, and now it's treating me like it's a brand new setup.

Very interesting - I had similar symptoms when trying out .93 - all sorts
of race conditions for files in .pan. I blamed this on the fact that I use
Windows and have .pan on a Samba share, set via PAN_HOME; unfortunately
changing all sorts of locking parameters in Samba didn't change a single
thing, so I've reverted to .91 in the meantime, which works fine.
My guess is that something changed regarding the multithreaded file
locking/writing between .91 and .93. This might also have contributed to
random segfaults (or whatever they're called on Windows) during startup
with more than one active thread while updating all subscribed groups.
Has anybody else noticed this?

Holger