pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Virtuell newsgroups and concurrent connections

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Virtuell newsgroups and concurrent connections
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:34:12 -0700

On Mon 21 Apr 2003 15:30, Christel & Dr. Frank Biendara posted as excerpted
below:
> I'm a Linux newbie and at the moment I use Debian and it's famous
> packetmanagement system. So I don't compile. It would be great if you
> can add this feature in the server preferences in one of the next releases.

I'm not Charles, but having been on the list a bit, I can say I sort of doubt
that's going to happen.  GNKSA certification tends to be fairly high priority
here, and deliberately breaking it in published binary versions is going
against a rather strongly supported policy.

There are four possible ways around that, that I can see.  Number four is
something you should be able to do now...

One would be to ask the Debian package maintainer to make the fix for you.
It's possible, but I can't say that it's likely.

Two, a compromise MIGHT be possible.  Charles, how about making the binary
honor up to 8 connections as set in the config file, but simply not giving
any way in the GUI to go above four?  That seems like perhaps a reasonable
compromise.  Of course, I'm not making the decision, and perhaps GNKSA
compliance won't let you do that either, but maybe..

Three.  Compiling the tarballs isn't TOO hard, PROVIDED Debian provides the
appropriate devel packages.  If you were on Mdk, I'd be able to help you get
them.  Perhaps someone on Debian can as well.  OTOH, I've never been able to
successfully compile from CVS.  Something about the autoconf system
conflicting or something.  I could probably do it if I took the time to go
figure it all out, but it hasn't been THAT much of a priority.  I just wait
for the official tarballs to come out and compile them or use the RPM if
available.

Four.  Try setting up a second server.  There's nothing saying they have to
ACTUALLY be different servers.  If you are quite active in two binary areas,
you can split it by subject and go that way.  If not, but you have several
newsgroups, try splitting them onto two different servers, and set one, then
the other, running.  It's not as nice as virtual servers and virtual
newsgroups, but that will come, in time, and this WILL allow you full use of
the 8 connections.

I'm really looking forward to the time when PAN does virtuals as well.
However, switching to a different db backend first could indeed considerably
simplify things, so that's the major thing I'm waiting on now.  Perhaps that
will be the next major project after scoring?  (The other thing we've all
been waiting on is the long awaited day when PAN can do attachment posting,
but that too will come.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin