pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection

From: Adrian Holovaty
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:53:43 -0500

Alberto wrote:

Hmmm....Can you give more information on your setup?
Is your PC connected to the internet directly or you
use a gateway/firewall? Do you use ADSL, cable modem
or something else?

I have a cable modem connection that feeds into a home router/wireless hub, which lets me connect simultaneously with a desktop computer and laptop. I'm running Pan on the laptop and connect wirelessly in my apartment.

What happens if you just restart your internet connection?
(I think that "service network restart" from a root console
may do this).

I executed "service network restart" as root, and it gave me this error:

Shutting down interface eth0: hermes @IO 0x100: Timeout waiting for command completion.
eth0: Error -110 disabling MAC port

Otherwise, the service restarted successfully. But my Internet connection still did not work.

I had (and still have) the same problem, which comes from a
shitty (and I really mean shitty) USB ADSL modem.  When the
up/down link is saturated it sometimes loses the connection.
There are workarounds, but I need more information to
understand if it's the same problem I have.

Ah, sounds similar. What workarounds have you been using? Should I lower the number of max-connections from 4 to, say, 2?

Thanks for your help,
Adrian