pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:28:51 -0700

On Tue 17 Jun 2003 21:40, Adrian Holovaty posted as excerpted below:
> I've submitted this to bugzilla, but I figured I'd point this bug out here
> anyway...
>
> Pan freezes my Internet connection. I'll be downloading something --
> headers, messages, binaries, anything -- and suddenly, without warning, all
> downloads stop progressing and my Internet connection no longer works in
> *any* application.

As other's have said, it's likely the router or modem.  I'm connecting using
an old Netgear RT314 and a cable modem (Cox 3Mbps down Motorola SB4100) and
have no problems whatsoever.  Most of the time I run all four allowed
connections to one Cox server.  They cap the connections at four per server @
384kbps each, so that's a full 1.5Mbps or half my pipe.  Occasionally, I'll
max it out with four more connections to one of the other Cox servers (they
have three), but I find it's seldom worth the hassle of running a second
server, as 1.5Mbps does what I need to do in a reasonable time.  However, in
no case have I ever had an issue.

Back on MSWormOS, I didn't have an issue with that either.  There was an issue
with (I think, from other stuff I've read) the MSWormOS ARP cache timing out,
in which case it would lose the connection even in the middle of a download
-- Lose98 and thru Lose 2K apparently have that problem, don't know about
eXPrivacy -- but that was entirely unrelated to anything NNTP, OE or PAN, and
I learned how to get it running again.  The problem, whether that or
something else, simply doesn't occur on Linux.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin