pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Post did not show up, no errors in Pan 0.14.0

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Post did not show up, no errors in Pan 0.14.0
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:47:14 -0700

On Tue 01 Jul 2003 13:24, Himanshu J. Gohel posted as excerpted below:
> I've been testing a pre-built version of Pan 0.14.0 on SGI IRIX.  Recently
> I posted a message to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba which seemed to
> have succeeded (no errors from Pan), and it appeared in my pan.sent folder
> as well.  However, the article has not been seen by Pan since, nor has it
> showed up on Google.  According to pan, the message ID is
> <address@hidden> and was posted using
> news.microsoft.com, an open/public server which accepts posts.
>
> So today I reposted the message using a different reply address
> (non-Yahoo), hoping to catch an error if I could...no error this time as
> well (even checked the log, which says "Posting complete. Server said: 240
> Article Posted OK").  The new message id is
> address@hidden and this time it showed up
> alright.
>
> Just a little strange that a message didn't show up even though there were
> apparently no errors...any speculations as to what might have happened?

That would appear to be a server error, from this viewpoint.  If the server
doesn't say it's been posted correctly, PAN moves it to the pan.sendlater
folder rather than the pan.sent folder.  Thus, if it's in pan.sent, it means
the server said it posted fine.  If it doesn't show up after that, it's the
server at fault.  At least, unless there's some as yet undiscovered bug in
PAN, which is always possible.

Maybe the MS server is filtering certain posts and yours happened to fit
whatever is being silently dropped?

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin