pan-users

[Pan-users] Suggestion, re large groups

From: Johan Ovlinger
Subject: [Pan-users] Suggestion, re large groups
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:53:22 -0400

People (myself among them) have lamented the horrible performance of the gtk2
widgets when faced with 10k item lists.  Not much pan can do about that,
without getting hands very dirty in toolkit internals.  But we can shorten the
lists:  I was thinking that most groups that have such large numbers of items
will be binary groups, with multi-multi-part posts.  Pan already combines
multipart posts: why not automatically thread multi-multi-parts?

The heuristics for doing so are admittedly somewhat vague: The "right" way
would be to download, parse, and interpret .nfo, .par, .par2, .sfv, and god
knows how many other formats (m3u?) and use that to decide groupings, but you
could probably get along way by setting a similarity threshold on subjects.
Every post with an n-character common substring / prefix gets lumped in the
same thread.  Allow this to be set system wide, and overriden at the group
level, and you will right there trim large multimedia groups down to a more
manageable list length.

huh? whadaya think? huh? huh?

Johan