pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: How do I keep read messages between runs?

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: How do I keep read messages between runs?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:06:10 -0500

Mick Wever wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:37:00 -0700, Charles Kerr wrote:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:31:50PM +0200, Mick Wever wrote:

What a hassle.
Whine, whine, whine. ;)

:D yeah yeah, bug reporting's a tough life. Sad to say, still happening in
0.14.0.91 windows version. When I start up, i will only get unread
messages, if I 'download all articles' (under more download options), it
gets fixed. But then if I change selected group and come back again, I get
the font/overlapping-duplicate articles as complained by others. If I
change selected group again and come back again, once again all my
articles have dissappeared.

Mick.

ps. [Likely a silly Q] I have got a virus scanner deleting some of the
downloaded files (when download bodies too is checked) running in the
background, I presume PAN can handle this cross-usuage?

Why would you expect pan to handle that????

Pan keeps track of the cached data and headers using a .dat file. If PAN makes a change in the status the .dat gets updated, if something else makes the change PAN would not be aware of the change until you force it to attempt to use the data that has been deleted/changed.

If you have something else actively deleting the actual files then PAN would have to actively monitor file status constantly and that would really load it down and send performance into the toilet.