pan-users

[Pan-users] new pan user question / some possible RFEs

From: Helge Hielscher
Subject: [Pan-users] new pan user question / some possible RFEs
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:59:18 +0200

Hello,

with pan 0.14.0.91 (and the ability to read mailinglist with it, thanks
to gmane.org) I decided to change my newsreader from mozilla to pan.
Thanks to all the people who have developed this increadible newsreader.

But I have a few questions:
1) how can I disable smooth scrolling when I hit the space button? (I
use pan-0.14.0.91-1tex with Mandrake Linux 9.1)
2) how to download new news always with bodies, at the moment I mark
all groups an choose download headers and bodies from the context menu
(I use german locale so I had to translate the strings back).
3) can I set a rule to check for new news every 10 minutes
4) is there a way to highlight groups with new answers to watched
threads or with replies to my postings
5) shouldnt all messages have the harddisk icon after I downloaded
headers+bodies for the group? what does it mean when it blinks in the
status line "287 are downloading"?
6) is there any documentation, especially on how to use scoring?
7) can you embed another editor (like KMail does), the native one is very
limited (no undo, rewrapping doesnt work well)

What do you think about these ideas as request for (future)
enhancements:
a) filter that work for words in bodies, e.g. score up threads that
contain the word "pan" in the body by 50 Points
b) some kind of bayesian filter for scoring e.g. if you have marked
enough interresting articles, pan scores other articels up automatically
c) watch/kill subthreads
d) search newsgroup descriptions
e) search newsgroups (including bodies, headers, etc.), e.g.
mark all gnome newsgroups and do a rightclick search for "pan" in the
bodies

Misc question: what is the easiest way to read mailinglists not covered
by gmane.org with pan?

TIA and Regards,
Helge