pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: configure line length

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: configure line length
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:07:17 -0700

Michael Kristofik posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:04:08 -0500:

> I was wondering if it is possible, short of editing/recompiling the
> code, to configure the line length at which Pan wraps messages.  It
> looks like it wraps by default at 76 characters, and I would like to set
> it to 72.  BTW, I'm using the windows build of version 0.14.2.

This USED to be in preferences, but hasn't been there for some time, tho I
don't know when exactly it was removed.  (It may have been as long ago as
the switch from Gnome (1) to GTK2, with PAN 0.12.0 and the 0.11.9x betas
for it.)

I think at this point you are looking at a patch and recompile.  However,
I'd recommend filling a feature request on bugzilla, with the patch
included if you are able, and it may be put back in.    I'm guessing it
may not be that much of a priority, so may not be fixed right away if a
patch isn't submitted as well, so if you are a coder, that's the way to
really encourage a speedy introduction to the feature.

OTOH, if it wasn't dropped at that point but later, it was probably
dropped for lack of use and to avoid cluttering the preferences with
little used options.  Charles rather hate code bloat, it's quite
obvious, and anything he doesn't think gets used much ends up a candidate
for the knife.  Sometimes he makes misjudges how used a feature may be,
and ends up putting it back in after a bunch of people squeal on the list.
Other times, it isn't mentioned at all for several code revisions.  This
latter case isn't so likely to be put back in, given that the code is
there to be modified and recompiled as necessary, for those wishing the
unusual feature.  However, I don't think anyone's forked PAN yet, which is
testament to the time Charles and Chris do spend working on feedback
suggested changes.

Benjamin Franklin