pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Major Pan Trouble

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Major Pan Trouble
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:31:33 -0700

Paul Trevethan posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:22:29 +1100:

> I am trying to run Pan v0.14.2-0 under
> Suse9.0/XFce4 and I have a major major problem. Every time I exit the
> program (which works fine while I am in it) it REBOOTS my machine with a
> warm boot!!

OUCH!!!  That is NOT supposed to happen!  Definitely file a bugzilla
report with all the details you can get.  (See Carl's suggestions for
attempting to get a few more.)  Charles and Chris should  be able to
work with you thru the bug report and may have some suggestions as to
libraries you may need to upgrade, running it thru valgrind, etc.

One possible thing you might try and didn't mention already trying is
terminating PAN with various signals.  I'm assuming sig-term (15) will
still reboot the machine, tho it depends on exactly what triggers the
reboot, but sig-kill (9), the untrappable direct kernel based kill
function may not.  Note that using sig-kill may leave PAN files around in
a possibly corrupted state, but that's certainly better than risking the
same thing with general system files, due to a reboot.

Also, if your SuSE kernel supports it, be sure to use the Magic SysRq key
sequences to sync before terminating PAN, to lessen the chances of general
system corruption.  (Look up the relevant documentation, but Alt-SysRQ-S
is the sync sequence, provided that has been compiled into your kernel.
If you do it from a text mode VC, it should then display a sync message
for each mounted partition, and the same should be displayed on your
system message VC, here on Mandrake, VC 12 by default, and syslogged.)

Benjamin Franklin