pan-users

Re: [OT][Pan-users] posted time anomaly

From: Wolf J. Flywheel
Subject: Re: [OT][Pan-users] posted time anomaly
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:34:24 -0500

On Saturday 13 December 2003 15:58, .b e. wrote:

> i normally have a good concept of time, and dont own a watch so its
> always bugged me that linux application time is so inconsistent and
> fixing it so vague.
>
> pan seems to be no different.

        It, like any other application, can only take for granted that the time
is correct.  There is no setting in Pan that I can find dealing with
system time.

> irrespective of what timezone,  utc or local (utc+13) the bios is set
> to, pan reports the time a message is posted as real local time then
> displays +1300 after it, which means i'm posting in the future.

        Does your system know which time your hardware clock is set to?  Other
info you posted leads me to think that it does not.

> then again this is all probably just another mandrake stuffup.

        It may well be.  :)  I used to run Mandrake, but I don't remember how
local time is set there.  I use Gentoo these days, and the method here is
that /etc/localtime is a symlink to whichever time zone you're in.  In my
case, this is /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern, and my BIOS clock is set to
GMT.  There's another setting in /etc/rc.conf that deals with whether the
BIOS is set to GMT or local time.

        Does Mandrake have similar files?  If not, there's probably a cute
graphical widget somewhere that controls it.  ;)

--
// Carl Hudkins :: Jabber address@hidden :: PGP 50238D9E
//