pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] The usage of rules and filters

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] The usage of rules and filters
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:30:22 -0500

JC wrote:

   Could anybody PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain how
to use rules and filters under Pan 0.14.2? Or any
other version, at that - I have been trying to coerce
Pan into doing some filtering for me for years now,
and the only thing consistent about its behavior in
this respect is that it is predictably erratic.

   I have defined the following filter:

ALL OF:
   Author contains "bozo1"
   Author contains "bozo2"
This will not likely work.   A post cannot ususally have 2 authors.

I think you mean

ANY OF:
   Author contains "bozo1"
   Author contains "bozo2"

   This I call "Master Filter", and I have ticked the
"Show in the Filter Menu" box.

   Additionally, I have a rule called "Bozos". This
rule applies to all the groups I am subscribed to, and
I made sure I ticked the "Apply to incoming" box. The
associated filter is the Master Filter above, and the
only selected action is "Delete article".

    With this, my expectation was that when
downloading articles for any of the groups I
subscribe, I would never ever get to see articles
posted by bozo1 or bozo2. However, much to my dismay,
those articles are still there :-(

   I then noticed that, under the Filter drop down
menu, the Master Filter box was not ticked. So I tick
it, and then all articles disappear. I tried to change
ALL OF to ANY OF and, much to my utmost annoyance, all
articles are removed EXCEPT those by bozo1 and bozo2.

Since you want to see all posts EXCEPT those matched by the above rule, negate the rule.

  This is driving me nuts. Even worse, the behavior
described above is not entirely predictable; sometimes
(seldom) things seem to work the way they are supposed
to.
   Am I doing something completely stupid, which is
what causes the puzzling behavior I am reporting? Or
is the filtering code in Pan not yet ready for prime
time? Notice that my requirements are very simple: I
just want for articles posted by bozo1 or bozo2 to be
deleted automatically for me when downloading the
headers, so that I don't even get to see those
headers. If the filter/rule combination is not used
they way I described to achieve this goal, how is it
used?

   Any help will be very much appreciated.