pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Marking Messages Read

From: Paul Trevethan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Marking Messages Read
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:00:21 +1100

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 21:57 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> Paul Trevethan posted <address@hidden>,
> excerpted below,  on Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:47:05 +1100:
>
> > [M]y new SuSE v9.2 saw the removal of all Windows partitions and I have
> > decided to bite the bullet and go Linux only!
>
> Congrats!
>
> > Pan is my reader of choice in making the transition. It handles my 8
> > binary groups (out of 50+ total) the best.
>
> Double congrats and cool! =8^)
>
> > However, I have a real problem getting it to behave as I would really
> > like - in terms of mimicking my trusted old Agent ways.
>
> Not so cool! =8^(

[.........lots of valuable info snipped........]

> Yes, getting used to a different app can be frustrating, when the keys
> don't do what you expected them to do by habit, and there's no fully
> automated way to do what you did in the previous app.  Thankfully,
> however, PAN's hotkey layout is very flexible, and you can remap the
> functions it has to the hotkeys you know, and /almost/ get automatic
> operation of other functions implemented in PAN as multiple functions, by
> arranging them for easy sequential hotkeying, if desired.  (You could for
> instance map the three functions needed above, toggle uncached,
> select-all, mark-read, to F8-F10, if desired, so you could just hit F8,
> F9, F10, F8 again.  Of course, that could make remembering which one is
> the mark-read key harder for /other/ ops, but it's possible, AND something
> YOU can actually decide, as an individual user.)
>
> Hope it all helps...

Duncan,
Thanks for the very detailed help on this matter. I will go and digest
slowly all that you said and think through the strategy. With some
careful thought I should be able to get close to what I want.
Transitions can be awkward when you know a particular program so well it
'fits like a glove'. I will persevere though and see how I go.

BTW, is there some way to send my 'method of operation' to the
developers as something for them to consider as options in future
development work?

Regards,
Paul.