pan-users

[Pan-users] Message-ID and References inconsistences break threads.

From: meneg
Subject: [Pan-users] Message-ID and References inconsistences break threads.
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:13:46 +0200

Hello, it's the first time I post here.

After finding out that Pan shows some threads not correctly - all of
them posted by other newsreaders so a pan posting problem is ruled
out - I did the trouble to read the RFC of news messages. I found out
that references should have the previous message-id etc. etc.

However, the ones - threads - that I found to be broken on Pan were
correctly shown on other newsreaders. e.g. slrn. Their RFC problem was
that the message-id of the previous messages not always went to the
references of the follow-up.

On the particular newsgroups I noticed the problem not all messages are
sent by newsreaders. Most of them are part of a mailing list and the
mailing list program sends them to news. I assume that may be part of
the problem.

So, the problem is not that I noticed Pan is not following the RFC but
that other - most - newsreaders will correctly show some threads that
have message-ids -> references inconsistences!

How is that? Can Pan have the same behavious - that is because If I'm
going to shout "fix your mailing list program" they'll probably answer
"you're the only one in years that had a problem".

Thanks for any response,
meneg