pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Spell checking in Pan (Debian KDE user)

From: Wolf J. Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Spell checking in Pan (Debian KDE user)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:38:47 -0500

On Saturday 09 October 2004 06:35, Chris Game wrote:

> > Perhaps the icon in KDE is passing PAN some command line
> > options when it is launching PAN and hense the feature is
> >  turner on. Whereas issuing the command `pan` from CLI
> > wouldn't be passing PAN the hypothetical command line
> > options. Just a theory.

> Well as I added the entry to the menu and didn't include any
> extra parameters/options, if that is the reason I'd be
> interested in what KDE does to produce the effect.

 It's more likely that Pan is picking up some environment variables
related to language, when you run it through KDE, that aren't set when
you run it some other way.  To see what environment Pan is inheriting,
try something like this:

 Edit your menu item for Pan, and check the "Run in a terminal window"
option.  Change the command to say "set && pan".  Now, when you pick Pan
from the menu, you should also get a window containing a listing of all
environment variables (the result of "set"), which you can check for
language stuff.

 Look for LANG and LOCALE.  I'm not sure which one Pan uses to determine
your language, but if Pan can't figure out what language to use, it won't
be able to call Ispell.  Here, both LANG and LOCALE are set to "en_US",
so I get spelling in US English.

 Now, do "set" in the environment in which you do *not* find
spell-checking available, and you may be able to tell the difference
between the two.

--
// Carl Hudkins :: Jabber  address@hidden :: PGP 50238D9E
//