pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to upload attachments?

From: Kevin Brannen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to upload attachments?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:50:48 -0600

Duncan wrote:

Kevin Brannen posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:38:19 -0600:

Is it possible to make Pan upload attachments?  I don't see any way to do
that, in both the latest stable version and in the CVS version (as of last
week).

Sort-of.

PAN has no direct way of uploading attachments.  However, it's possible to
do it one of two indirect ways.

1) Use a stand-alone encoder (such as uuencode) to convert the binary into
an encoded file, then open that encoded file in an editor and select/paste
(non-clipboard X style) or copy/paste (clipboard based) into PAN's text
editor as you would any other content.  Send it as normal.

Done that, and it does work as long as the file is small. :-)

2) Similarly, use the external text editor function.  It should be
possible, and I've suggested it before but don't know that anyone has
actually done it (if they have, they've not posted it), to script a
solution that does the attachment, then saves the combined message and
attachment, and set that script as your "external editor" in PAN's
preferences dialog, such that when PAN gets control back from the
"external editor", the attachment is now part of the message.  I /do/ know
someone has used a very similar technique to allow gpg-signing of
messages, as that's where I got the idea.  (Unfortunately, I'm not sure
that script was ever posted, tho someone commented they had come up with
one.)

Hmm, interesting idea.  I might have to try to figure that out.

The problem seems to be that the perfect has been the enemy of the good. PAN stands for Pimp-ass Newsreader, and that's the goal.

Thanks for the explanation. It was longer than I expected, but quite appreciated nevertheless. It almost makes me want to code it just to get it in. :-) Like everyone else, time is the difficulty. :-(

Still, maybe I'll look to see what it would take to do just the single upload, no splits. I'm curious... :-)

Kevin