pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to upload attachments?

From: Graham
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to upload attachments?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:43:55 +0000

On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 00:29, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > >PAN has no direct way of uploading attachments.  However, it's
> > > possible to do it one of two indirect ways.

I missed the first part of this thread, but the matter of binary
postings has been covered extensively in the past.

Again, I don't know if it was suggested, but the "words of wisdom" is to
use newspost (which is command line and USED to have two GUIs,
Gnewspost [for Gnome] and Knewspost [for KDE], neither of which are
maintained).  I would suggest that you look at newspost.

It was suggested that newspost might be integrated into Pan is such a
way that if you had it installed, it would appear in one of the menus
and then binary posting would be a click through the Pan gui.  The Pan
developers say this is now not a priority, which is a shame.

Another suggestion which I would make is to get Wine running and then
load the Windows newsreader XNews.  This used to have a good binary
posting capability, and I have used it in the past, but not for months
(if years), and so I don't know if its capabilities in this area are
still accessible through Linux.

Uuencoding works with small attachments, but if you are posting
attachments to newsgroups, you are in fact making binary postings, and
uuencoding is not the best coding system to use, Yenc is better and is
fully supported in newspost.
--

Graham