pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Another 0.9x comment

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Another 0.9x comment
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 03:08:06 -0700

Jim Henderson posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 05 May 2006 16:15:34 -0600:

> As I've been looking at how I use various news servers, I find that
> actually being able to have separate groupings is helpful.  In 0.9x, all
> servers are consolidated into a single list instead of being broken out by
> news server, and I like this feature as well, but it would be helpful to
> be able to create multiple groupings within that list.
>
> That would allow groups to be categorized by an arbitrary type - say by
> "binary" vs. "discussion" vs. "hobby" vs. "work-related" and so on.  The
> single list is useful up until you have several hundred groups that you
> browse through on a regular basis - then the long list can become quite
> cumbersome in terms of usage.

That point has been made a couple times.  I expect it'll be implemented.
I don't know when, however, as I'm not sure how big a change that would be
to the current code.  If it's a big change, it'll probably wait until the
base functionality is a bit more mature and stable.  Still, even then, at
the current rate of change (which I don't believe is sustainable, at least
as long as Charles is doing nearly all the coding himself), it could
easily be there by end of (northern hemisphere) summer.