pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Some minor requests

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Some minor requests
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:03:20 +0000 (UTC)

"Matt Braymiller"
<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Mon, 22 May 2006 23:03:45 -0400:

> Thanks for a wonderful newsreader.I'm sure these have been mentioned
> already at some point.<br><br>1. I'd love to have my window layout
> 'remembered' between sessions. Every time I start Pan, I have to drag
> the windows back to position and the header columns back to position. It
> is a very minor thing, though. <br><br>2. Threads expanded by default
> would be wonderful to have back.<br><br>3. Download headers AND bodies
> when starting would be nice to have as well.<br><br>Thanks for a
> wonderful
> newsreader.<br><br>_______________________________________________
> Pan-users mailing list

Looks like you use gmail.  Please tell it not to include HTML when you
post to this list.  There's a reason PAN doesn't do HTML (that's what
spammers and crackers use to spread their malware and web bug response
notifiers), and a reason people support that decision and choose PAN for
their newsreader, yet you post HTML to the PAN list! =8^(

As for window layout, the problem wasn't that but with quitting.  There
are of course two (normal) ways to quit PAN, the "Quit" item from the file
menu, and the X button on the title bar (in which case the window manager
sends a sigterm, I believe). Charles says he always uses the file-menu
quit function so he didn't realize the window manager quit function was
missing the call to some of the save-state routines, meaning that when it
was used, PAN effectively crashed, without saving state.  The pane layout
and often some of the read/unread status info would get lost.

The problem should be fixed with 0.98.  It is here.  As long as you are
still running 0.9x previous to 0.98, remember to use the quit in the file
menu, and you should find that works around the  issue and your settings
are saved properly.

I asked about a pref for threads expanded by default, and Charles said
pre-1.0, he hoped.  However, I don't know what time frame he intends for
1.0, except that the jump to the 0.9x series is a strong indication that
it's no longer "bluesky", but something he wants to do pretty quickly.  I
asked Charles and he says after 0.99 will come 0.100 (as mentioned we are
at 0.98 now).  I'm my /feeling/ is that there's a good chance we will NOT
see 0.110, particularly given the improvement with each release since
0.90. I expect 1.0 to be the next stable release.