pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.101 "A pulse of dying power in a clenchin

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.101 "A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist."
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:45:11 -0500

On Jun 25, 2006, at 12:44 PM, Charles Kerr wrote:

Some quick notes:
- I can't connect to my server at 127.0.0.1 on WinXP. Could this have
something to do with the W2K networking fixes?

No idea.  Anyone care to see if a Linux build can
connect to a local news server?

I believe the version I built just now on FreeBSD can communicate to localhost on port 1119 as thats where I put a remote news server on ssh relay. Something like this:

ssh -L 1119:news.remote.isp:119 login.remote.isp

I don't do the above all the time because its slower, and the login shell has a logout timer that has to be tickled to maintain the connection.

Still getting adjusted to the new series and don't have a good handle on controlling multiple news servers. One major feature was to automatically parallel multiple servers? Primary on usenetserver.com is often missing parts of a multipart binary, but the missing parts is listed. Old pan would balk if part 23 of 79 was missing and not download 24 thru 79.

Configured old pan to not remove failed tasks from the task list. As long as they are still on the task list apparently their data is still cached on my drive. Have found I can ssh tunnel to another ISP who uses Supernews, re-queue the download of the particular broken binary and it resumes where the first left off. After it gets past the rough spot can stop the second, delete the first's stopped task, re-queue a new task for the same thing on the first server and resume where the 2nd left off.

Configured .100 to use the usenetserver.com server as primary, Supernews as backup. I don't always have the ssh tunnel open to Supernews, this seems to be a bit of a problem.

Using .100 I started download of a known problem binary with only usenetserver.com. Saw broken multipart files in the listing. Added Supernews as backup and refreshed message headers. Saw the broken icons replaced with whole icons. The files properly downloaded as 50MB each but par2 only found 1 of 27 good blocks in each.

So how does this relate to 101? As I said, I don't have a good handle on controlling multiple servers in the new series. My primary is throttled to 2 sessions, backup at default 4, and just now for "update headers in subscribed groups" ran with 6 connections. So I believe that it was talking thru localhost.

Also note that I said, "localhost" and not 127.0.0.1, as I configured it as localhost, not by number, altho both should be the same.

Having said all that all is not rosy. Double-click on a subscribed group, CPU goes to 100%, Pan 0.101's window title changes to the group name, CPU drops to normal idle, window title returns to "pan", and nothing is listed. "It worked in 0.100".

Other than FreeBSD, the only deviation is that I'm running direct from the pan/gui directory without the "make install" step. Thought it probably best to skip formal installation/removal/installation each week. Is that a mistake? Does it need to put stuff other than where its built in order to run properly?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden