pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: why I need a smtp server mentioned for Pan 0.14.90 ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: why I need a smtp server mentioned for Pan 0.14.90 ?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:22:18 +0000 (UTC)

"Anuj Verma (Kevin)" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 25 Jan 2007
10:36:04 +0000:

> I was just checking out Pan on Maemo abased N800 device, and upon starting
> it up I noticed I need mention a smtp server for my account.
>
> Why so ? I had not seen the same in 0.12.0

You had posted earlier on the devel list asking about pan on maemo. It's
great you found it already ported. =8^)

However, be aware that the 0.14.x series is based on a dead and no longer
updated C code base.  Newer pan is a C++ rewrite, with the first public
beta being 0.90, and the current beta version now 0.121.  There's nothing
wrong with using the old version, and please continue asking for help with
it and we'll do our best, but because it's older and enough different to
matter in places (such as this), please be sure to mention the version
with every question (as you did here) or you're likely to have some rather
confused replies, wondering what kind of strange pan you are using. =8^)

It /may/ be worthwhile porting new-pan over.  As I said on devel, since
maemo is gtk based already, and you mentioned a cross-dev kit, it
shouldn't be that difficult -- provided you have that type of skills,
anyway.  If not or if you just want to use the old version, just remember
to mention the version any time you ask something, and don't expect any
further updates on the dead code branch, and you should do fine.

As for 0.12.0, I'm guessing you meant 0.120.  The question then makes
sense in context as I'll explain.  0.12.0 is probably 5 years old -- the
first major pan version based on GTK-2.0, so is /very/ outdated.
Additionally, IIRC (and I may not), it used the same SMTP setup as 0.14,
so the question does /not/ make sense in that context.  Thus, I'll assume
you meant 0.120, since that /does/ make sense.

To the question itself... 0.14.x (and back into the 0.11.x series at
least) pan handled reply to sender and forward via mail rather differently
than new-pan (0.90+) does.  Current pan has a preferences setting for mail
client, and hands off mail messages to it, so pan itself does no direct
mailing and thus requires only that the mail client it is pointed at
works -- and only requires that if you actually try to send anything via
mail.

Old-pan (0.14.x and older) sent the mail directly rather than handing it
off to the configured mail client helper app, and therefore required
configuration of an SMTP address to send thru, rather than the mail client
helper app.  Again, however, as long as you aren't actually /sending/ mail
(reply to sender or forwarding a message via mail), the config need not be
actually valid for the rest of pan to work correctly.

Make sense now? =8^)