pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: why I need a smtp server mentioned for Pan 0.14.90 ?

From: Anuj Verma (Kevin)
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: why I need a smtp server mentioned for Pan 0.14.90 ?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:05:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Duncan,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:22:18 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> However, be aware that the 0.14.x series is based on a dead and no longer
> updated C code base.  Newer pan is a C++ rewrite, with the first public
> beta being 0.90, and the current beta version now 0.121.  There's nothing
> wrong with using the old version, and please continue asking for help with
> it and we'll do our best, but because it's older and enough different to
> matter in places (such as this), please be sure to mention the version
> with every question (as you did here) or you're likely to have some rather
> confused replies, wondering what kind of strange pan you are using. =8^)

Thanks, this helped and I have also suggested the same across maemo-devel

> It /may/ be worthwhile porting new-pan over.  As I said on devel, since
> maemo is gtk based already, and you mentioned a cross-dev kit, it
> shouldn't be that difficult -- provided you have that type of skills,
> anyway.  If not or if you just want to use the old version, just
> remember to mention the version any time you ask something, and don't
> expect any further updates on the dead code branch, and you should do
> fine.

Like I have likely mentioned earlier somewhere, that I am just a
technician but will try to see how much I can help for porting/development
efforts, but can't promise. Though I hope to help for QA.

> As for 0.12.0, I'm guessing you meant 0.120.  The question then makes
> sense in context as I'll explain.  0.12.0 is probably 5 years old -- the
> first major pan version based on GTK-2.0, so is /very/ outdated.
> Additionally, IIRC (and I may not), it used the same SMTP setup as 0.14,
> so the question does /not/ make sense in that context.  Thus, I'll
> assume you meant 0.120, since that /does/ make sense.

this is clear & understandable.

> To the question itself... 0.14.x (and back into the 0.11.x series at
> least) pan handled reply to sender and forward via mail rather
> differently than new-pan (0.90+) does.  Current pan has a preferences
> setting for mail client, and hands off mail messages to it, so pan
> itself does no direct mailing and thus requires only that the mail
> client it is pointed at works -- and only requires that if you actually
> try to send anything via mail.

are you suggesting present version uses, my default mail client or MUA
something ? could it post via newsgroup configured ?

-kevin