pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Bug: Using external editor stops background task.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Bug: Using external editor stops background task.
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:17:05 +0000 (UTC)

Greg Lee <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:39:01
+0000:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:12:20 -0400, Douglas Bollinger wrote:
>
>> Can you post a bug on this?
>
> Okay, it's #465763.  I added my opinion that it could be regarded as
> documented behavior, if there were a document, and if it were described
> in that document.

Documented or not, it'd still be undesired.  New-pan's core is single-
threaded as that tremendously simplifies debugging and eliminates race
conditions, but it does spawn threads where that's necessary.  This may
be made non-blocking without making it threaded, but if not, the external
editor launcher should be spun off into a separate thread, so it doesn't
stall ongoing downloads, for instance.  For binaries, the network is the
bottleneck, and it's simply illogical to make it all the more so by
pausing it unnecessarily.

(I don't have time ATM but I'm saving the post with the bug number to
comment to the above effect, later.)