pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Skip quoted text when scrolling

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Skip quoted text when scrolling
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:36:55 +0000 (UTC)

Benjamin Esham <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:41:29
+0000:

> I think that the "mute quoted text" option would be a cruder way of
> doing this.  It would prevent you from having to scroll through a lot of
> quoted text, but it would also prevent you from peeking back at the
> quoted text for context, as is sometimes necessary.

Well, ideally, positive peer pressure would be exerted to persuade the
person quoting such huge amounts of text at once to edit it down to only
the portion he's replying to, then reply inline, as I'm doing here.  In
the cases where one's reply is to a longer segment than normally fits on
an average display window, the quote should be excerpted or paraphrased,
with the rule of thumb being never have a point at which a portion of the
new text (reply) isn't visible.  With a few exceptions for technical
groups or discussions, where it may be necessary to quote multiple pages
of output (and think if it really is before doing it) without any inline
replies, if there's ever a point in the reply where one can't see reply
because it's all quote, it's a very strong indication the quoting isn't
being done correctly, and needs to be edited either to only the point
being replied to, or paraphrased/summarized, in a rather less verbose
manner.

That's how it's /supposed/ to work.  Peer pressure is supposed to cause
violators of that netiquette to either change their ways, or end up on in
the killfile of most regulars.  Of course, if one isn't seeing that huge
quote, one isn't likely to exert that peer pressure, thus ultimately
causing the problem to get worse and worse over time, as fewer and fewer
posters feel compelled to follow common netiquette, because no one they
have reason to respect is doing the compelling.

Thus, the mute quoted text compromise seems a decent one.  It's easy
enough to toggle, once one learns the hotkey or assigns a different one
they are comfortable with, yet provides enough of a hassle to be a gentle
prod, both not to do it one's self, and to be a gentle prod as well, to
those consistently abusing the quote feature.

> Additionally, when
> reading near the middle of a large post, toggling 'q' will royally screw
> up your vertical position in the post, requiring you to scroll around to
> get back to where you were.

You do have a point there.

All in all, however, given the mute quoted text feature that's already
there, I don't believe it's worth bothering with.  Or, putting it
differently, yes it'd be nice, but there are IMO much more useful and
high priority things (attachment posting, scoring that works on the
entire post, not just the overview headers, group categories, auto-
download/mark-read/delete, to name four major ones) that should come
first.  Thus, if it were me, I'd mark it "target 'bluesky'", if I didn't
simply close it as WONTFIX or NOTABUG in the first place.