pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: old trouble : can't email -- SOLVED

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: old trouble : can't email -- SOLVED
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:55:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:27:59 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:49:27 +0000, walt wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:32:43 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
>>
>>> ... Is it safe to assume there would be some way of putting the extra
>>> switches, or parameters, or whatever, into the terminal as called from
>>> pan to expand it then and only then?
>>
>> Take a look at 'gnome-terminal --help'.  That's usually the first thing
>> I try when I don't know enough about an application.  If you can't make
>> anything out of what you see, then you have something to look for in
>> the man page.
>>
>> There is a --tab-with-profile=YOURPROFILE that I suspect may be what
>> you want.  A slight difference with gnome-terminal is that you need to
>> use single quotes around the alpine command:
>>
>> gnome-profile --tab-with-profile=YOURPROFILE -e 'alpine -url %s'
>>
>> You could also try the --window-with-profile if you want to use alpine
>> in a separate window, etc.
>
>       Double take. What I use as my standard terminal is gnome-
> terminal. What you suggested, and I put into gnome-preferences *as*
> *mail* *reader* is xterm.
>
>       Unless they interact -- which would startle if not stagger me --
> I can tweak away all I want at xterm, and have no effect at all on
> gnome- terminal.

xterm and gnome-terminal are competitors, pick the one that suits your
needs.  The command-line flags for the two are very different, though,
so I gave you one which should work for gnome-terminal.

As Duncan pointed out, I made a think-o in what I typed last night.
Here is what to substitute for the xterm command I gave you earlier:

gnome-terminal --tab-with-profile=YOURPROFILE -e 'alpine -url %s'

Re your other post about font sizes, adjusting the size from the
command prompt has its limits.  Not every font will be on your disk
in every possible size, and some fonts will be substituted behind
your back if the font you want isn't on your disk, and some of the
substitutes may not be resizable at all.  Kinda pot luck unless you
are willing to become a master font wizard -- which I'm certainly
not.  I'm more than happy with my 9x15.