pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Multiple server support even working?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Multiple server support even working?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:57:16 +0000 (UTC)

Travis <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 10
Apr 2008 12:48:18 -0700:

It was shown here (using pan and gmane) as a multipart/mixed MIME message
with the original text content GPG signed and included as the first MIME
part.  Below that was the second MIME part, the "Pan-users mailing list"
footer added by the mailing list software.

I suspect the original was sent as a simple single-part MIME message,
complete with GPG-signature.  The mailing list software would have then
added the mailing list footer as a second MIME part, converting the
message as a whole into a multipart/mixed message in ordered to add the
second part.

Since they /are/ text, pan displays both parts directly, altho it
separates the gpg/pgp-signature into its own little attachment.  When I
have pan save both text and attachments, it creates only one attachment,
the signature, with the entire thing including the sig in the article
file.  It's viewing it (in a text editor) that I was able to see the MIME
structure I described above.

I see you are using some sort of MS thing to reply and presumably to
view.  No surprise there that it had the body as an attachment.
Actually, that does make a bit of sense, as it would be easier that way
to pass the entire signed part to gpg/pgp/whatever for signature
verification, since it obviously doesn't handle that built-in.

Presumably, if you were using say thunderbird, with the enigmail
extension, to view the post, it would verify the signature.  I know kmail
(my mail client) handles such things, but of course, as I said I'm using
gmane and pan, as I said, to view this list as a newsgroup.